Saturday, July 10, 2010

Baby Quilts and Pink Plume

I’m not a girly girl, in case you haven’t noticed. Previous to yesterday, I owned (no joke) 7 total fabrics that had a main color of PINK. This is less than 1% by A LOT. Nope, it’s too early to do the math, so neener. :)

Then the post woman gave me the most amazing box yesterday. I was so excited, I ripped it open and immediately started cutting into it. Hence why there are no pictures of it all stacked together. Too excited.

What caused this excitement? Tula Pink’s Plume for Moda. My jelly roll and yardage arrived with coordinating solids. So I immediately got started, as I have promised a baby quilt for wonderful friends. And she’s due Halloween. So my pursuit of mint, pink, and chocolate led to Plume.

First, I’m working with a Moda Bake Shop Recipe. You can find it here. It has ruffles. What is more girly than ruffles? Of course, I can’t bear do something EXACTLY like the plans call for, so I’m changing it up a bit. I’m adding some lace and other fun things. But I’m out of batting, so you’ll have to wait until later for the completed quilt. But I have some in process shots I thought I would share.

Here is all my jelly strips cut into smaller segments (5”, 7”, 10”) and then pieced back into 42” strips.

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Then we have it all pieced together. Yes, it hangs off the edges of the table. :)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Then we have it, it’s backing, the ruffle fabric, and the binding all hanging, nicely pressed, together. Now it’s just waiting for its batting like a prom date by the door of my studio.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

But since I finished the piecing on this before dinner, I had to have something to do. So I started a ribbon fascinator for the crib rail to match it.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It will have the bird from Plume cut out on the right side, the roses from Plume cut out on the left side, a fleur de lis cut out of the brown colorway top center and then a feather from the pink swans under that. And yes, it will have ribbon tags of coordinate colors all the way around all four pieces, except that the feather is getting full marabou all the way around. :) I’m probably going to do a binding out of the dark pink colorway (you can see it at the top of this shot), and the back out of the fleur de lis in the pale green colorway. And it will get the same baby pink lace trim, which you can see on the right hand side of the shot.

What do you think? Have I gone too far into girly land? Can I come back? And what to do with the rest of this jelly roll?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails